Shawnee Health Service is transitioning to the Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) model of care, an integrated, holistic approach to medical care. Our providers care about your physical health as well as your emotional wellbeing.
Depending on your individual needs, we can provide services in primary health care, dental, obstetrics, nutrition, lab, counseling, and on site behavioral health services through short term, solution focused care, as well as referral to other community based services. Our team is committed to helping our patients achieve all of their health care goals.
Patient-Centered is a way of saying that you, the patient, are the most important person in the healthcare system. You are at the center of your health care.
A Medical Home is an approach to providing total health care. With your medical home, you will join a team that includes healthcare professionals, trusted friends or family members (if you wish), and most importantly – YOU!
Your medical home can help you:
The health care system can be confusing. Your medical home team will listen to your questions and can help you find your way through the health care system.
- Get to know your team.
See the same medical team when you visit: Your medical home team will know you and your family. They can help you manage your total health care. Your team can help you understand your health care needs and provide you with the information you need to manage your health.
- Work with other medical experts if needed.
Your medical team may arrange with other doctors to get help if they are needed; they will support you every step of the way.
- Reach your team when you need them.
We offer extended hours for your appointments. If you need help after hours, please contact our “on-call” physician so that you can get your questions answered.
- Track your health information.
Your medical team will keep a complete record of your medical history, health status, medications, test results, self-care information, and care received from other doctors.
What can you do to help?
- Be an active team player.
- Talk with your team about your health questions. Share the success and the challenges you’ve had with health care in the past.
- Tell your team about other health care professionals who care for you.
- Take care of your health.
- Follow the health care plan you and your team have worked out. Make sure you understand how to follow the plan.
- Set health care goals you can reach. Your medical team can help you set your goals.
- Talk openly with your team.
- If you have trouble sticking with your health care plan, tell your team about it.
- If you feel your health care plan is not working, talk with your team so that changes can be made.
Get ready for your appointment
Use this handy Checklist
- Make a list of your health questions. Ask a friend or relative for help if you need it. Put the questions that are most important to you at the top of the list.
- Make a list of other health care providers you have visited. Write down their name, address, phone number and the reason you visited them.
- Take your medication list or all of your medicines, in their original containers, to your appointment. Be sure to include prescriptions, over-the-counter, natural, and herbal medicines and vitamins.
- Take your insurance card or other insurance information with you to your appointment.
- If you wish, ask a family member or friend to go to your appointment with you.